I’ve tried to restart my running program about 10 times since getting the go ahead from my dr. Each time has failed, not because of injury but because of lack of energy. Here are my top reasons for lack of follow through:
- I’m too tired
- I’m too busy (work, family, politics, etc.)
- I’m too overwhelmed (see above)
- It’s too cold, gym is too far, workout clothes don’t fit anymore, excuse of the day…
- I don’t seem to be getting better.
I’ve tried to get back on track with eating about 100 times in the last six months. I know which foods give me energy and make me feel good and which foods give me food cravings and make me feel out of control. Here are my top reasons I fall apart:
- I’m too tired to cook, shop, prep food
- I didn’t plan for my day properly
- I’m in a lousy mood, so I just don’t care anymore
- I’ve already eaten the wrong thing, so what’s one more
- If it’s not about weight loss, why can’t I eat what I like?
It’s like a viscous cycle. I eat foods that suck the energy out of me and the. I have no energy. I don’t exercise so I have no energy.
In addition, I’ve gone back to drinking regular coffee. It started with just a cup or two a week, but progressed to the point where I get a splitting headache if I don’t have 2-3 cups a day.
I went back to where I started, when the journey was just starting. I need to set small enough goals that I think I can achieve them. I need to take it much more slowly than I have been. Things didn’t break down in a couple of weeks; it was a gradual process of little slips.
I’m going to stop focusing on trying to be a runner so much. I’m going to put my attention on things that get my energy back.
So here it is ~ 30 days to reboot my energy:
I need to focus on things that will give me energy. Whole foods, not processed. Eating more proteins and veggies and less sugars. Avoid wheat. Cut down on caffeine. Move my body every day. Think about how to improve sleep.
I don’t have the answers now. I’m going to play with a few things and see how it goes.