My new years resolution was to walk 3,000,000 steps this year. I also resolved to update monthly on my progress. So with January down, how did I do?
Well, I didn’t meet my monthly goal, but I think I came pretty close. I walked 243,863 steps, or about 107 miles. Of these, I ran 23.6 miles and walked the rest. My highest day was 1/24 with over 14,000 steps and I had 10 days with over 10,000 steps. I also earned a lifetime distance badge (1,000 miles) on fitbit.
If you divide 3,000,000 by 12 months, you will see that to make my goal, I need to walk 250,000 steps per month, so I was about 6,000 short. Still, I think that a goal like this should be progressive. If I walked 243,000 steps in Jan, I should be able to do more than that in February. Instead of running 1-2 miles, I should be running 2-3 miles. So, I think that is pretty good. Here are some things that kept me going:
- Parking in the back of the lot. This takes more effort in single digit weather, but I made a conscious decision to put a few extra feet between me and the store.
- Walking the platform. When waiting for a subway or train, I choose to walk up and down the platform, rather than sitting on a bench. I don’t take the train every day, but the days I do, I frequently have 5,000-8,000 steps before I get home from work.
- Run 3 times per week. I didn’t do that all four weeks, but I came close.
- Using RunEnvy on the treadmill. It is still in a very rough form, but the days I brought the beach with me to the gym were my best times.
Some things I want to focus on for February:
- Exercise on the weekend. I tend to skip Saturday and Sundays, and I think I should run at least one of those two days. Or at least walk. Something. Weekends tend to be my lowest of days, step wise.
- Drink more water. I drink plenty when I run on the tread, but I think I need more water throughout the day. I just started focusing on that the past few days, and I think it is important to keep track of.
- Keep working on RunEnvy. I need a better version of this and I haven’t really done any of the work for a while.